#14 – Week Forty-four
May 6, 2011
Five frisky reasons to be alive this week:
- We are fostering two kitties that need a home, Bugs (tabby) and Franklin (black). “Kitten season” runs from April to September and it’s when the shelters are most overcrowded. When I saw that our local shelter, PAWS (Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society), was out of space and couldn’t take in any more stray animals until some of the ones they already had found foster homes, I got us signed up and brought home these two cuties. Franklin has had a real tough time of it; at first he wasn’t eating at all, wasn’t moving around or doing anything really, and I was sure he was dying. But it turns out that he’s probably a little younger than the shelter thought at first and wasn’t ready for dry cat food yet. We gave him some wet food and he ate it so voraciously it brought tears to my eyes. The tiny little guy was starving! He’s doing a million times better now and is catching up to his “brother” very quickly. Bugs, on the other hand, is a very playful, very smart and very sweet boy. He loves to run around and explore but he also loves to be cuddled. They are both going to be great pets to someone someday! They should be ready to be adopted in a couple of months, so if you know anyone who is interested, they can contact me and/or apply through PAWS.
- I’ve been really lucky to be able to take the kittens with me to work every day. They love being able to have free roam of my office, I get cuteness all day long, they get acclimated to being in a cat carrier for short trips without always ending up at the vet, and our own cats, Pickle and Goose, get a break from the little monsters. It’s goodness all around!
- We are having dinner with friends tonight and I can’t wait to see them and also try out a new recipe that looks like it will be very yummy. If it is, I’ll be sharing it here, no worries!
- I think I mentioned last week that some major progress was made on the house — the back addition was torn down to make way for a new deck — and on Sunday we’ll get to see how it looks so far. Very excited to check it out!
- The bf and I went for a nice walk at Jenkins Arboretum yesterday afternoon. The weather was lovely and the azaleas are in full bloom and it was really nice to have a little time to ourselves just to chat.
I hope you had a good week, and if you’re interested or know someone who is interested in either adopting or fostering some kittens, let me know!